Thursday, January 7, 2016

When life gives you anxiety...

So, I was going with the "when life gives you lemons" idea here.....but it certainly doesn't sound as exciting or optimistic.  So how do I end that phrase?  It doesn't end with a cool, refreshing glass of lemonade to be exact.
You see.....I do struggle with anxiety.  I can usually pull it all together after a micro-meltdown but I have to keep it in check.
This past Sunday, I had a panic attack on the way to church.  My house was not straightened and truly, that is the number one trigger of my anxiety.  At least, it begins that way.  The girls and I had been home for two weeks so we had not had to rush to go anywhere.  Somehow the hectic pace of getting everyone ready and out the door, coupled with a messy house, set me into a panic.
By the time we were in the van, I was wiping tears.  By the time we reached the parking lot of the church, I was trying to remember to take deep breaths.  The girls never know when I get upset but I'm sure they think I have asthma! :)
So, back to my title.  When life gives you anxiety, what should you do?  Well, I just decided to stay in the van for a few minutes by myself.  And I googled "prayer over anxiety."  I sat and read this scripture until I was calmer.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” Philippians 4:6, 7
I wish it wasn't so. I wish I was calm and collected in the middle of chaos.  But it is so, and I'm not.  So I will keep trusting, praying, and breathing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment